Stuart A. Sears
- American University,
- Washington College of Law
- Mary Washington College (now University of Mary Washington)
- Bar Admissions:
- District of Columbia
- Practice Focus:
Stuart A. Sears is a talented trial attorney with a broad range of experience representing individuals and companies in high-stakes and often high-profile white-collar investigations, congressional inquiries, criminal prosecutions and related civil and administrative proceedings. He has represented U.S. and foreign clients in global investigations involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the False Claims Act, criminal antitrust allegations, fraud, and national security matters. Mr. Sears has been recognized by Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, and Washingtonian Magazine as a top tier criminal defense and white-collar lawyer.
Over his career, Mr. Sears has earned a reputation for a being a zealous and persuasive advocate for his clients. His credibility and judgment have been recognized by opposing counsel, judges and peers. Whether it’s presenting to the government, a judge, or a jury, Mr. Sears is regarded for his ability to communicate his client’s story in a simple, effective and convincing manner.
- Represented European NGO in negotiated False Claims Act settlement with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented U.S. technology company in parallel criminal and civil investigations by the U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the District of Columbia and the Southern District of New York. The investigations were closed and resulted in no criminal charges or civil penalties.
- Represented several individuals and corporate entities in parallel investigations by Congress and the Office of the Special Counsel into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.
- Represented several company employees in DOJ criminal antitrust investigation.
- Represented former employees of a national health care provider named as a defendant in a federal False Claims Act qui tam action.
- Represented executive of large entertainment company in FCPA investigation conducted by the DOJ.
- Represented prominent government contractor’s employees in DOJ civil and criminal False Claims Act investigations and House Oversight & Government Reform Committee inquiry.
- Represented U.S.-based international manufacturer in Department of Commerce Inspector General investigation involving Middle East competitors.
Criminal and Other Matters:
- Represented defendant charged by the Office of the Special Counsel in U.S District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Represented defendant in federal civil rights and threats trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Represented corporate executive in wire fraud and procurement fraud trial in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Represented Navy official in conspiracy and fraud trial in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Represented popular R&B recording artist on assault charges in D.C. Superior Court.
- Represented professional football player in NFL investigation regarding allegations of domestic assault.
Before entering law school, Mr. Sears worked in the financial services sector at a large corporation in Boston, Massachusetts. He later attended the American University, Washington College of Law where he graduated cum laude. Stuart is an active member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
Stuart has been recognized for his litigation skills by several publications, including:
The Best Lawyers in America 2016-2020
Washingtonian Magazine 2015-2020.
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers 2014-2020
Virginia Super Lawyers
Northern Virginia Magazine
National Trial Lawyers Association
The attorneys of Schertler Onorato Mead & Sears bring deep experience, practical judgment, and vigorous advocacy to the matters we handle. Our lawyers include former federal prosecutors, former members of the Antitrust and Tax Divisions of the Department of Justice, and a former Assistant to the Solicitor General. We have tried cases large and small, have briefed and argued numerous appeals, and also have the skill and acumen to negotiate resolutions of matters when it is in the best interests of our clients. More detailed biographies of our attorneys are accessible below.