Washington & Lee Law School
The George Washington University
District of Columbia
Lisa Manning joined Schertler & Onorato LLP as Counsel in 2011 and was promoted to Partner in 2018. Her practice focuses on representation of individuals in civil and criminal litigation, investigations, and expungement. Ms. Manning has counseled both U.S. and overseas clients in matters ranging from state-level criminal cases to global investigations. Her experience includes cases involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, antitrust (cartel and price fixing matters), the Office of Foreign Assets Control, fraud, securities, government contracts, and local criminal defense. In addition, she has represented clients in a variety of government inquiries, including regulatory, grand jury, and Congressional investigations.
Ms. Manning also has expertise in the expungement of criminal records and has handled all manner of cases in this area. In 2009, she founded Record Absolutions, a law practice dedicated to criminal record mitigation and related issues. Ms. Manning recently prevailed over the federal government in a unique and highly-contested Motion before a U.S. District Court to expunge a federal criminal case. She is committed to advocacy and reform in this area through her academic writings, support of a federal expungement statute, and by assisting multiple clients to successfully mitigate their records.
Ms. Manning graduated from Washington & Lee Law School in Virginia, after completing her B.A. in International Relations/Economics at The George Washington University. She is a member of the Virginia, District of Columbia, and Maryland Bars, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, District of Colorado, District of Maryland, and the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia.
Ms. Manning is the current Chair of the Bar Association of the District of Columbia’s Young Lawyers Section. She is a 2015 graduate of the District of Columbia Bar’s John Payton Leadership Academy. A D.C. native, Ms. Manning is also active in the community through volunteer work for D.C. Central Kitchen and the D.C. Bar’s Advice and Referral Clinic. Ms. Manning is proficient in French and Spanish.
- Represented CEO of European multi-national corporation in FCPA investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities & Exchange Commission, and several E.U. countries.
- Represented executive of South American company in parallel antitrust investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice and multiple foreign governments.
- Successfully advocated for a rare equitable Order of Expungement in a federal case. Has represented numerous individuals, including foreign nationals, in various record mitigation and expungement matters.
- Defended foreign government in multi-million dollar breach of contract suit filed in U.S. federal court.
- Represented multiple executives of an international bank in sanctions investigation conducted by the Office of Foreign Assets Control.
- Represented witnesses and subjects in a wide range of investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, Securities & Exchange Commission, Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Department of the Treasury, Consumer Financial Protection Board, and the U.S. Congress.
- Defended numerous clients in criminal matters before the Courts of the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.