Joseph A. González
New England Law
College of William & Mary
District of Columbia
Joseph Gonzalez is Of Counsel with Schertler & Onorato, LLP. His practice focuses on white collar matters, investigations, and a wide array of civil litigation. Since leaving government practice in 2016, Mr. Gonzalez has drawn upon his trial attorney background and expanded his local federal practice to the national level. He has extensive experience litigating all phases of cases, from the filing of a complaint through dispositive motions and, if necessary, trial. Select representative matters and areas of focus include:
- Traditional Tort Defense – Served as lead defense counsel for corporate entities and executives in numerous lawsuits filed in both local and federal courts.
- Securities Actions – Obtained a dismissal with prejudice for the CEO of an international telecommunications company in a securities class action suit filed in the Southern District of New York. Represented the CEO of an automobile company in multiple securities class action suits filed on the Multidistrict Litigation docket.
- Employment Law – Defended against lawsuits brought pursuant to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and others. Obtained multiple defense jury verdicts and dismissals through successful dispositive motions.
- Investigations – Conducted investigations involving witness interviews, coordination of factual development, complex legal analysis, and interactions with government regulators. Clients have included financial and insurance companies.
- Affirmative Civil Litigation – Filed and litigated lawsuits on behalf of clients pursuing recovery against corporate entities. Negotiated favorable monetary settlements.
Before joining Schertler & Onorato, Mr. Gonzalez was an Assistant Attorney General at the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia. There, Mr. Gonzalez took a dozen cases to trial and obtained successful civil defense verdicts in all his first-chair appearances. Mr. Gonzalez handled all aspects of litigation, including depositions, selecting expert witnesses and corporate designees, motions practice, hearings, mediation, and trial. He won over 35 dispositive motions, resulting in 20 published decisions. Mr. Gonzalez also was recognized each year for his excellence in service, and was one of the recipients of the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service, which is the Attorney General’s award for highest distinction.
Mr. Gonzalez served as Law Clerk to the Honorable José M. López in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. In law school, Mr. Gonzalez interned at the Supreme Court of Virginia. He also received two CALI Excellence for the Future Awards for the highest grade in two classes and was a member of the Appellate Moot Court Team.
Mr. Gonzalez has served on the Civil Jury Instruction Committee for the District of Columbia Superior Court. He is also active in the community and a member of the D.C. Hispanic Bar Association.